Interactive and Computational
|Department of Statistics
Instructor: Ivo Dinov
|Homework 5 - Creative Project
|Due Date: Friday, June 05, 2009
- (HW_5) This is a creative paper project that will
demonstrate your thinking about carrying out a real scientific study.
You have to
identify a problem, phenomenon or a challange that is of interest to
you. Then gather,
analyze and present data about the process you have chosen. Think of
appropriate methods for modeling hte data, making predictions based on
your models and drawing some conclusions about your study. It is
completely up to
to come up with an interesting project that you complete by the
Here are the basic requirements your project must satisfy:
- Please submit your project nicely typeset, including
in the form according to our HW assignment policies. No hand-written
reports will be accepted.
- Examples of projects (this is not an exclusive
- Investigate the change of the level of various disinfectants,
contaminants, chemicals, micro-organisms, pesticides, radioactive
or other substances which may be added or naturally occurring in H2O,
across the years (say 1998-2008) in our tap drinking water.
- Study the dynamics of the human populations for the past 100
Make predictions for the future.
- Analyze the prevalence or gender preference of one particular
type of cancer.
- Study the effects of over fishing.
- Crime rates, geographic distributions and severity.
- Education changes in the past decade.
- Stock market volatility.
- Earthquake modeling.
- Examples of online resources containing interesting
regular HW project cover page
with a one
by an intro/background
of the problem, methods, results,
and acknowledgments, references
that order. Clearly state the problem
you have chosen to
investigate. List the
resources you used to come up with the project and reference all
you used to complete the project.
- One or two people can work on a project as a team. If two
people work together both
must have equally contributed for the completion and submit separate
of the project, with their names on top (the names of both students
should be on both papers). Needless to say expectations of team
projects are higher.