and Statistics Data
and Analysis using SOCR
|Department of Statistics
Instructor: Ivo Dinov
|Homework 5 (Term Research Paper)
|Due Date: Friday, June 04, 2010
- (HW_5) This is a creative paper project that will
demonstrate your thinking about carrying out a real scientific study.
You have to
analyze and present the data, the results
and the conclusions that follow from your study. It is completely up to
to come up with an interesting project that you need to submit
it by the deadline.
Here are the basic requirements your project must satisfy:
- Please submit your project nicely typeset, including
in the form according to our HW assignment policies. No hand-written
reports will be accepted.
- Examples of projects (this is not an exclusive
- Investigate the change of the level of various disinfectants,
contaminants, chemicals, micro-organisms, pesticides, radioactive
or other substances which may be added or naturally occurring in H2O,
across the years (say 1997-2007) in our tap drinking water.
- Study the dynamics of the human populations for the past 100
Make predictions for the future.
- Analyze the prevalence or gender preference of one particular
type of cancer.
- Study the effects of over fishing.
- Crime rates, geographic distributions and severity.
- Education changes in the past decade.
- Stock market volatility.
- Examples of online resources containing interesting
regular HW project cover page
with a one
by an intro/background
of the problem, methods, results,
and acknowledgments, references
that order. Clearly state the problem
you have chosen to
investigate. List the
resources you used to come up with the project and reference all
you used to complete the project.
- Clearly state your hypotheses, prior to interrogating
- Use statistical techniques from the list of techniques we
have discussed in this course (e.g., normal approximation, confidence
hypothesis testing, linear regression, analysis of variance,
goodness-of-fit, etc.) to
convey whether or not there is statistical evidence in support
your original hypotheses.
- Explicitly state your approach to answer your research
all formulas/tests/statistics you need.
- Interpret your statistical (numerical) results in a lay back
Write conclusions and discussions at the end of your report and
outside help. Describe how this project can be extended in the future.
- One or two people can work on a project as a team. If two
people work together both
must have equally contributed for the completion and submit separate
of the project, with their names on top (the names of both students
should be on both papers). Needless to say expectations of team
projects are higher.