Bio-sketch of Song-Chun Zhu
- 1996 Ph.D., Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- 1994 M.S., Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- 1991 B.S., University of Science and Technology of China, at Hefei, China
- 2006 Professor, University of California at Los Angeles, Depts. of Statistics, Computer Science
- 2002 Associate Professor, University of California at Los Angeles, Depts. of Statistics, Computer Science
- 1998 Assistant Professor, Ohio State University, Depts. of Computer Science, Cognitive Science
- 1997 Lecturer, Stanford University, Dept. of Computer Science
- 1996 Post-doc, Brown University, Division of Applied Math.
- 2013 Helmholtz Test-of-Time Award***, 14th Int'l Conf. on Computer Vision at Sydney, Australia, for a region competition paper published in 1995.
- 2011 Fellow, IEEE Computer Society
- 2008 Aggarwal Prize**, the Int'l Association of Pattern Recognition. Citation
- 2007 Marr Prize honorary nomination, 11th Int'l Conf. on Computer Vision at Rio, Brazil, for Object Modeling with Y. Wu et al.
- 2007 Changjiang Scholar, Ministry of Education, China.
- 2003 Marr Prize, 9th Int'l Conf. on Computer Vision at Nice, France, for MCMC Inference for Image Parsing with Z. Tu et al.
- 2001 Young Investigator Award, Office of Navy Research.
- 2001 Sloan Fellow, Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.
- 2001 Career Award, National Science Foundation.
- 1999 Marr Prize honorary nomination*, 7th Int'l Conf. on Computer Vision at Corfu, Greece, for Texture Modeling with Y. Wu.
- 1995 Jury Prize, Harvard University.
- 1992 Harvard Fellowship, Harvard Graduate School of Art and Sciences.
- 1986-1991 Numerous undergraduate student awards in China
*The Marr prize used to be the highest honor in computer vision as it was the only award given in the 1980s-1990s, and early 2000s in every two years. But in recent years, the community has created a few other categories. ECCV and CVPR also introduced their Best paper prizes.
** The Aggarwal prize started from 2006, and is given by the International Association of Pattern Recognition for one person under 40 years old in every two years.
***This new award started in ICCV 2009. It is for a paper published more than 10 year ago. This was actually my first ICCV paper.
Major Professional Services
- Int'l Association of Pattern Recognition, committee for the J.K.Aggarwal Prize (2008--2013) , Chair (2011-13).
- IEEE Computer Society, Fellow committee, Vice Chair, 2013.
- General Chair, IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Providence, RI, 2012.
- Editing Board, International Journal of Computer Vision (2004 -- )
- Editing Board, Foundations and Trends in Computer Graphics and Vision (2004 -- )
- Editing Board, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (2005--2009)
- General Chair, IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Long Beach, CA, 2019.